Vision Tips for Contact Lens Wearers
The better you care for your lenses, the more comfortable they will be. See some helpful dos and don'ts below.
- Always wear your contact lenses as prescribed by your eye care professional.
- Only use lens care products recommended by your eye care professional and always consult him or her before switching to another product.
- Remember to clean and disinfect one lens at a time to avoid mixing up your left and right lenses.
- If lenses are not worn on a daily basis, they should be stored in a lens case filled with solution. If lenses are stored more than 30 days, it is advisable to clean and disinfect them prior to wearing.
- If your eyes are often dry, use a contact lens rewetting drop for added moisture and comfort.
- Make a habit of replacing your lens case every month.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection to protect your eyes from harmful rays.
- If you experience any irritation, eye discomfort, excessive tear production, vision changes or redness of the eye, immediately remove your lenses, discontinue use of your solution product and consult your eye care professional.
- It is important to schedule regular visits (at least once per year) with your eye care professional. At that time, your overall eye health and contact lens prescription can be evaluated.
- Do not wear your lenses past the wearing period recommended by your eye care professional. Because lenses are only designed to last for a certain period of time, do not wear contact lenses longer than their intended life span. Remember to replace them according to your eye care professional's instructions.
- Never add fresh solution to the old solution in your lens case. After use, empty your lens case completely, rinse with fresh solution and allow to air dry. Always clean, disinfect and store your contact lenses in fresh solution.
- Do not put contact lenses in your mouth to moisten or clean them. The mouth is full of bacteria and is a source of possible contamination.
- Never clean or disinfect your lenses in tap water or saline solutions. They lack the proper cleaning and disinfection properties necessary for safe and comfortable lens wear.
- Never use eye drops or solutions not intended for use with contact lenses.
- Contact lens solutions are not interchangeable. Do not mix or alternate lens care solutions.
- Solutions are sterile until opened. Do not touch the bottle tips to any surface, since this may cause contamination. Always keep the bottle tightly closed.